Sunday 15 November 2015

An Eventful Flight

I was flipping through my travel diary a few days back and I saw this story that I had penned down 5 years ago regarding one of my flights to Tokyo that had left a huge impact on me.

I can still remember this flight even till today.

"Attention Please! Passenger taking Singapore Airlines SQ634 from Singapore to Tokyo-Haneda, please kindly proceed to gate A7 for boarding.Thankyou!"

All the Tokyo bound passengers took their belongings with them,lined up at the counter while anxiously waiting for their board pass to be scanned before boarding the plane.

While I was waiting for my turn to get my boarding pass scanned, I saw this man who was probably in his early 40s with his parents. His father was shaking and couldn't walk without any assistance at all. So the ground crews stepped forward and offered to help him.

"It's alright!I can handle it" the son said with a smile as he held his father's arm and led him forward.

The man's mother was still rather 'strong' for an old lady. She was wearing a sarong kebaya. On the other hand, his father who wore a blue jacket and had a beanie over his head with a pair of sunglasses.Clearly,his father had Alzheimer's disease or commonly known as dementia. 

The three of them were seated at the bulkhead seat while I sat behind them.

What I saw during the flight really moved me.

After the flight attendant served his parents their meal tray, the man knelt in front of them and cut their food into bit-sized pieces. He sat on the floor in front of his parents and watched them as they ate. The son had to feed his father as the poor old man struggled to pierce the food with his fork.

The man only had his meal after his parents had finished their food

Throughout the flight,he was so patient with his parents. He did everything for them- getting drinks, bringing his parents to the toilet and making sure they have sufficient snacks in-between the flight.

All these went on for at least 3 times during the flight. Sometimes, his father would wake him up from his sleep for toilet trips and the man didn't grouch or get angry.

The man would talk to his mother when she took a break from her reading and joke with his father throughout the flight. I really enjoyed watching their interaction. It really brings a smile to my face.

It wasn't before long that we had arrived at Haneda Airport. Most of the passenger left the plane while this family of three were left behind to wait for the ground staff to get a wheelchair ready at the door for the elderly.

While waiting for their turn for disembarkation, his father started looking around
"Where are my sun glasses?", the old man exclaimed!

"Oh Dad!They're on your head!" The son smiled as he pulled down the sunglasses from his father's beanie and rested it upon his nose.

"Wow, You look so cool now Dad!"

He smiled at his father and stared with him with so much love.

When the cabin crews offered to bring the feeble old man out of the plane, the son told them,"Girls, better don't touch him! He is a cheeky old man! Let me do it!"

The cabin crews ushered them through the aisle, helping with their baggages and bid them goodbye.

I was really moved by the man's love for his parents. I have never seen someone who is so patient and loving to their parents.

He did everything a parent would do for their children- feeding them, taking them to the toilet and even entertaining them. There wasn't a tinge of annoyance on his face.He did everything out of love.

My eyes welled up with tears as I thought of my parents. There may come a time where the roles will be reversed. When we were young, our parents did everything they could for us. They fed us, changed our diapers,bathed us,answered our repeated question with a lot of patience, rushed us to the doctor at the first sign of an ailment.Are we capable of showing the same amount of unconditional love for our parents as the man did for his parents? 

3 comments:

  1. I read a very nice story. I was reminded of my parents as well.
    We should always be grateful to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is never too late to return the unconditional love and caring to our parents. Please continue loving your parents as what they have done to you. Though I am at the edge of welling up, I appreciate your effort to teach your audiences new words. Furthermore, as an pharmaceutical engineer, it is the time for you to work hard in the field to save those caught by Alzheimer's disease. Work hard for it!

    ReplyDelete