Sunday 29 November 2015

Critical Reflection

In SIE2016, we received feedbacks from both our peers and tutor, Brad. Giving feedbacks to my peers was something that I have never done in my schooling life. The feedbacks that my peers gave allowed me to refine my work, thus making the essays I wrote more intelligible. In addition, the feedbacks given by Brad further hone my writing skills and at the same, make me understand the features a good piece of write up should have. The comments received from both the tutor and my classmates also enhanced my learning experience as it allows me to interact and discuss with them regarding the mistakes that they found in my writing. Besides that, when I gave feedbacks to my classmates, I learn from their mistakes and thus minimizing the occurrences of such errors in my future writing. In essence, the feedbacks that I received from various people gave me different perspectives on how to approach my writing. 

The skills that I learned in this module are applicable to the writing assignment in the Mass and Energy Balance module this trimester. In this module, we are taught how to do a write-up with a clear focus and direction. In addition, we were also taught that it is always good to have a few drafts before finalising a write-up.Lastly, having a good thesis statement would significantly impact the flow of the essay. For my Mass and Energy Balance assignment, I was required to do a summary write up on gas absorption.I managed to apply the planning and summary writing skills that I have been taught here.While I was drafting my write up for the Mass and Energy Balance assignment, I did not had to ponder if I was writing out of point. This is because of the good thesis statement that I've written. In addition,the thesis statement allowed me to organise the content in the write up thus making sure that's a flow in the summary..



In short, the peer and tutor feedback had benefitted me greatly as I am more aware of the mistakes that I should avoid while drafting for my future academic write ups! 

Edited on 2 December 2015

4 comments:

  1. Hi Hai Qing,
    I agree with you that the feedback received from various people has different perspectives, but it will be difficult to determine who is right or wrong.
    However, the feedback session is still a good time to interact with our peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Hai Qing, for this detailed reflection. I appreciate how you approach feedback from the two perspectives, as reviewer and as reviewee.

    You also mention that what you have learned in our module has found a place in your work in another module. What you don't explain is how "I managed to apply the skills that I have acquired here....." I'm just curious what those might be.

    In any case, thank you for your determined effort and positive approach to learning displayed throughout the course. I wish you all the best for your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hai Qing, I agree with you that through this module, we are able to gain skills that shape us in terms of report writing and peer feedback. It has helped me as well when I was doing my reports too. Especially when it is my first year, where there are times I could be struggling with the formats etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Based on your article, you feel you are fortunate to have such new way of learning. That is true. Even for me, through interacting with you now in your blog, I read and learn new vocabularies. Besides "horny", I know another word called "hone"! Such interaction allows me to hone my English, reducing the probability of me using the incorrect words to make my words more understandable! Based on the possible minor grammatical error from your article, I also learn to be less stupid in the future of my writings. By the way, I am sure Brad can also learn engineering knowledges from your mass and energy balance, which is a result of the such interactive feedbacking system!

    ReplyDelete